Monday, July 28, 2008

Asthma Attacks, A Broken Arm and a 2:00 am E.R. Visit

Alright. I feel in the thick of it right now. For the past 3 days Chase (the one who doesn't have asthma unless he's sick with the cold/flu) all of a sudden had a horrible environmental allergy reaction and has needed breathing treatments almost every 2 hours for the first day, morning and night. The last couple of days he's been down to one every 3-4 hours, but more at night.
Then, Kelton yesterday at my mom's went underneath the trampolien and Bryce (not knowing he was under there) jumped. Kelton's arm is now in a sling and there is a fracture on the x-rays. We're hoping the elbow might just be sprained, but for now...he's in this thing.
Oh...and it gets better! Last night as we were putting the kids to bed, after choosing to not go to the ER for Kelton (by calling a dr. in our ward at home), Taelin started uncontrolably screaming. From about 10:30 to 1:30 she screamed, and nothing was making it better. She wouldn't unstraighten her legs, she turned deep red from trying to push, and when you tried to touch her tummy, she would shake. We tried a warm rag, bath, nursing, enima (which loosened her stools to help her poop), gas drops, etc. On and on, and nothing. She would exhaust herself and then start screaming and shaking again, arching her back and just beside herself.
Her and I arrived at the ER at 2:00 am and after x-rays and a lecture on why she wasn't immunized (from the nurse) , the diagnosis was colic. I guess the gas was so bad that her stomach was expanding and contracting. Nothing can really help but what we were doing. But she was alot more comfortable once we got there for a little while. I think sleeping in her car seat was nice on the way over there. Anyways, we got home about 4:30, then Chase needed a treatment and Kelton more IB profen for the swelling. I finally got into bed and Jacob was kind enough to get up with the boys, take Kelton for x-rays and go and get Taelin's recommened meds (which ended up being what we already had!). I slept into about 11:30 and now I am just praying that everyone can get a good nights sleep!

8 comments:

The Mothership said...

WOW. I'd say you are in the thick of it too! Hopefully Kelton's arm isn't too bad. He broke it when he was younger, too, didn't he?

I hope everyone gets better soon!

Bekah said...

Oh my gosh! What a terrible day/night. Why does it all have to happen at once?! I get so annoyed about the vaccine thing. I delay and spread out my kids vaccines and thankfully have a good doc who is supportive but whenever I have to answer the "Are their vaccines up to date?" question I just grimace!

Erin said...

When it rains it pours doesn't it?!
Sorry! if you need any help let me know!

Lisa said...

I remember the days. Do you what my mom would tell me when I would call her for sympathy? Oh Lisa, these are the best day's of your life. Oh really, the "BEST?" Shoot me now.For Taelin's stomache, massage her stomach in circles going in a downward motion. she won't like it at first, but it is better than hours of screaming. Use baby oil, to massage. Then push her knees up to her chest and push them back and forth. Then cycle the legs like she is riding the back. Repeat these actions over and over. She will poot gas. Also, peppermint sticks, let her suck on that. Also, there is something that you can put in her bottle called barley syrup. A doctor recommended this to me. It is very gentle. CAll me for other suggestions 225-313-6038

Sincerely,
Nurse Ratchett

Bobbi said...

What a crazy day & night!! I feel so bad for you; late night trips to the ER are the worst! I hope both of your little guys are doing better, as well as Taelin's sore tummy. poor little girl--
As for you, I am so glad you got to sleep in to catch up from all of the excitement.

Lisa said...

By the way, I watch Kelton's first talk video over and over. It cheers me up. I love the way he closes his eyes when he says, "da missionawies know Him". I love that part!! It cracks me up.

Lisa said...

Ughh....I think I found the answer to Taelin's stomache problems. Upon scrolling through your blog...there is someone feeding her an apple!!! Step away from the apple sir.

The Cooks said...

What a day this sounds like it was! Kelton is such a trooper though. He seemed to be handling it pretty well today at the Primary Activity :)