Monday, March 15, 2010

Dentist...love or hate?!

I will try to add pics to this later. For now, you get to hear me ramble.

I have had 21 teeth pulled...needless to say, that grinding noise from those teeth getting pulled when I was 10, still gives me the chills. I've lost 3 on my own, my 2 front teeth, and one my dad hit out with a basebal. Along with the jaw and tooth pain from moving my teeth around for 2 years having braces, not pleasant either. So, altho I've only ever had 1 cavitity, I've spent my share of time in the dentist's chair. After I had Taelin, I went in to find in two consecutive 6 month checkups...I had a total of 8 cavities (and subsquently fillings)! What? Ok, being sick for 9 months with 3 kids, means for 1 1/2 years straight my teeth were battered almost daily. So, I find myself in the chair, tensing up. Even tho nothing has happened yet. Then the needles come and they find out that I have a funny nerve and it takes 4 shots to get it right! YEP, felt every one! And I come out with my whole face numb almost (slight exaggeration!).

When Kelton was 3, he had oral surgery and was given 4 root canals, vanieers (sp?), 4 sterling silver crowns and a couple fillings. He was put under at a local surgical center. I cried more than he did I'm sure. He had some of his vanieers redone last week, and again, I cried.

Chase went in this morning, and has another visit in a few weeks...and again, I cried. Its not the pain, its just the feeling uncomfy, nervous and perched open with everything in your face. I think they do better than me, but the instant Chase squeaked my eyes instantly teared up and I went right to him. Sorry hygenist, I know that squeak! The dentist fixed it and Chase came out like a pro, just wanting me to carry him. What a sweetie...so brave.

Now Mommy just needs to be more brave!

2 comments:

sarjuh said...

I. HATE. THE DENTIST!

Mommy Danielle said...

I know your pain... I almost thought about having less kids because I hate taking them to the dentist! It is true. I almost passed out when Joseph had to have his dental work done! Pregnancy took a toll on my teeth too! After Kalel was born I had to have a ton of dental work done. It cost $6,000 because I had a tooth break down below the gum line!!! I feel sick thinking about it! I have to go in on Friday for my cleaning and I already know I have some work that needs to be done. IT is awful. I know your pain... and I am very sorry.